On 18 September 2014, members of SEATIDE gathered at the Lone Pine Hotel, Penang, for the 1st SEATIDE Dissemination Workshop “Dynamics of Integration and Dilemmas of Divergence in Contemporary SEA”.
The event, which was co-organized by Prof. Ooi Keat Gin of Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Prof. Volker Grabowsky of Hamburg Universität (UHAM), and the EFEO, focused on research conducted within the framework of SEATIDE’s Work Package 2, “National and transnational diversity”.
Presentations were delivered by two panels: 1) “Settling the Region’s Borders”, chaired by Dr Andrew Hardy, and 2) “Coping with Religious Diversity in SEA”, chaired by Prof. Sumit Mandal. These included:
- Heritage and Nationalism in the Preah Vihear Dispute, Prof. Volker Grabowsky (UHAM) and Dr Sok Udom Deth (Zaman University)
- Ethnic Minorities Living on the Laos/Vietnam border, the State, and Beyond, Dr Vatthana Pholsena (ARI-NUS)
- Buddhism in Contemporary Myanmar, Jacques Leider (EFEO)
- Islam in Contemporary Indonesia, Dr Rémy Madinier (CASE-CNRS)
- Christianity in the Highlands of Contemporary Vietnam, Jörg Thomas Engelbert (UHAM)
More than 50 people, including USM and other local university researchers as well as NGO representatives, attended the Workshop and participated in the closing Roundtable discussion on “Fractures and Predicaments in Southeast Asian Identities” chaired by Prof. Yves Goudineau.
This event was held back-to-back with a two-day internal “Publications Workshop” on 19-20 September 2014 where SEATIDE researchers worked on a series of 12 Online-papers soon to be published on the SEATIDE website.
SEATIDE “1st Dissemination Workshop”: download the programme below: